I usually make two of everything for Thanksgiving if I have a lot of people over for dinner. In case one is not enough I have a backup! This is a very simple dish to make yet it is one of my favorites because I love marshmallow! Hope you can try this at home not only for Thanksgiving but anytime of the year is fun. Christmas is a great holiday to serve this dish too.
2 1/2 – 3 pounds yam (sweet potato)
1/3 evaporated milk
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 bag miniature marshmallow (or more if you like)
Optional: Some people like to put cinnamon in this recipe but I don’t. If you like cinnamon, then add 1 tablespoon to the mixture
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Peel yam (sweet potato) and place in a large pot to boil on high heat.
3. Once water boils, reduce heat and continue to cook until tender.
4. Remove from stove and drain water.
5. Leave yam (sweet potato) in pot and add butter, evaporated milk, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Also add cinnamon in you decide to use this ingredient. Beat until smooth.
6. Using a wooden spoon, transfer the yam (sweet potato) into a casserole of your choice and smooth out until top is nice and even and flat.
7. Cover the top evenly with marshmallows. Sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
8. Place in oven for 20 minutes or until marshmallows have browned.
9. Serve and enjoy!